Monday, January 25, 2010

He Decided to Turn into a Big Boy this Week

My little teeny tiny bundle of joy that I brought home after 7 days in the hospital:





He decided to go all big boy this week.

He's asked to nurse one time in 4 days. ONE. TIME. I think we truly may be on the road to child led weaning at two years and and 7 months old.

I'm OK with it. I think it was time for both of us.


And then, quite unexpededly today, another change. He whipped off his diaper, grabbed my hand, pulled me into the bathroom and told me proudly he needed to go pee pee. My child who has NEVER shown interest in potty training has pee-peed in the toilet 7 times in the past hour. SEVEN TIMES internet. That's a lot. And we have a party each time. Mama does her excited pee-pee dance. The Little claps his hands and giggles hysterically like this is the funniest thing in the world. Like, "Hey...why haven't we been doing this all along?" We wash our hands, head out in the living room and just get settled down when he jumps up again and says, "PEE PEE!". In fact, I've been interrupted 4 times while trying to write this entry.

I'm thrilled and a bit sad simultaneously.

My baby boy is growing up. Too fast. And he's thrilled with the whole idea.




Yours in the unexpected,

Simple Mama

15 comments:

  1. That was about the age that my little man told me I couldn't call him my darling baby boy anymore.
    They will just keep growing up won't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it happens too fast but it's such a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! It's all so bittersweet, isn't it?! Yay H!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so exciting, yet sad (at least to me) when that happens. Yay, for using the potty though! Keep up the good work!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, mama, that's alot of changes all at once! We weaned and potty-trained about 6 weeks apart and that was a hard thing to do...letting go of his babyhood. Now he's in his big boy bed for the 2nd night, and I'm feeling it all over again. Congrats and good luck as you enter this new phase of life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, for letting your child decide when he is ready! Love those pee pee dances!!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, it's definitely bittersweet. They do grow up too fast...
    Thanks for the reminder to really enjoy this moment with our little ones. Love the music choice, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of changes all at once! And how great he is making the decisions himself. It IS bittersweet. I am equally astounded in every change my girl makes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh sigh. so sweet. it all happens so fast sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two really big occasions! It does happen so fast. Our little 2 and a half year oldhas also just recently self-weaned and self toilet trained. Happy days to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! my boy is two and seven months and has not asked to nurse in days either. he is on the potty path....some days he does, some days he doesn't. that last picture in your post is absolutely adorable!

    by the way, i haven't thanked you yet for opening my heart to the beauty that is *falling softly*. i have opened your blog many times just to hear it as it really speaks to where i am at right now. so thanks, love! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! So much going on in your world! Learning the potty and natural weening were marathons for us. Lots of patience needed. Be thankful for the sprint ;) But, oh, the feeling of watching these little guys make such big steps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is all of a sudden and so fast. Deladis was just that old when she decided to wean. She said, "Babies suck gees." That was that. She never nursed again. I love letting things flow with uncoached milestones. It has made potty training and such as that so easy for us. Congratulations Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome! I'm glad the little one is home. A Big Boy for sure! So much to take in...go slowly...courage comes in moments. There are so many milestones...enjoy the moments. : )

    ReplyDelete