Monday, March 22, 2010

Why Don't You Make String Eggs?

We made string eggs this weekend for an easy spring decoration around the house. They turned out so well that we have plans to make more this week. We'll be hanging them on the tree in the front yard for Easter.


Gathering the balloons and embroidery floss:




Blowing up the balloons:


Wrapping the liquid starch soaked embroidery floss around the balloons in layers:


Drying the eggs:


Finished! We let them dry completely over night and then popped the balloon.



We used about 3 skeins of embroidery floss for each egg. The liquid starch was found in the laundry section of our grocery store.

Sweet, aren't they?

Simple Mama

10 comments:

  1. Very, very cute!! What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are super sweet, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems like a GREAT project to get the kiddos involved in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these!! What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! I like that I can involve my little ones in this as well. I'll have to keep an eye out for that starch at the store. I have lots of embroidery floss!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good gravy those are so adorable. My 3 little ones and I are off to the craft store now to buy floss. LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want ti do this on a much larger scale do you think it would work like on a four foot balloon???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this was posted about a year ago. But thank-you for this!! I did this in elementary school and we made giant eggs then cut a whole in them and filled it with fake grass and easter items. I have an idea to do something similar and i wanted to confirm what type of liquid was used!!

    www.absurdlypeculiar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete