Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why Don't You Make Rainbow Rice?

We needed a fun, colorful activity during one of our many recent gray, rainy days. Rainbow rice fit the bill perfectly.

I first read about rainbow rice on the ForesterClan blog here.

We followed the instructions for Rainbow Rice using food coloring and my own tube watercolor paints. I just squirted a dab of watercolor into a baggy, added a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of rubbing alcohol. I'm cheap and wanted to use what we had on hand. After the bags of rice were completely mixed, I dried them on a fruit leather rack in my dehydrator. It took each bag about 15 minutes to dry completely. Look how pretty the colors are!




Of course H wouldn't let the colors stay separate for long. He went right to work mixing them up.







A few old kitchen utensils and a play rug to help corral the mess equals hours of fun. Clean up is a breeze. A quick vacuum of the area and wash of the hands (yes, the color on the rice does come off on your hands a bit - so have wipes or a bathroom sink available.)



Such a fun, rainy day project!

I'll be gone from this space for a while - taking a vacation to the Southern Caribbean. Pictures when we come back, rejuvenated and sun tanned.

Much love,
Simple Mama

7 comments:

  1. nice activity. looks very fun (and messy...which just means more fun really). Love that a quick vacuum can solve all the troubles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous idea! I'm mixing some up tonight so I'll see how it goes. Have a great break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No - I wouldn't eat it. It's made with watercolor paint, which shouldn't be ingested. We usually compost it when we're done playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also make this using Kool-Aid for scented rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! We made ours with 1/8 cup rubbing alcohol and food coloring. Super easy, dries really fast, and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete