Sunday, February 5, 2012

Make It! Valentine's Day Coffee Filter Wreath

I've wanted to make a coffee filter wreath for a long time now.  All the examples that I've seen online were done in either the plain white coffee filters, or with natural, unbleached coffee filters.   I needed color - and the more pink and red, the better!

Using the same dyeing technique from my coffee filter flowers, I started dyeing shades of the lightest pink imaginable. With each batch of coffee filters completed, I added more red to the dye water.  I had hoped to end up with a deep crimson red for my last bunch of coffee filters, but alas, they never seemed to get as dark as I wanted. 



I contemplated removing the plastic outer wrapping on the wreath, but opted in the end to leave it on to limit mess and straw shedding indoors.

Geordi Laforge anyone?

After my coffee filters dried, I pulled out my glue gun and started applying the filters in a random pattern to my straw wreath. I gathered each filter in the middle and twisted slightly to give them a flowery look.   I also found this made gluing the filters to the wreath easier.

It's a bit tricky as you near the end of this project.  There isn't much room to hang onto the wreath when gluing the last of the filters into place, but I did manage to manhandle my way through.  Completed, I pulled out my craft scissors and trimmed the wreath up a bit in places where coffee filters stuck up too much. I actually really love the way this turned out, even without my deep red color.   It's soft, fluffy, and oh so pink. 

This one is staying indoors, because I don't trust the elements here in the Pacific Northwest enough to leave it outside.   Soggy coffee filters are not the look I'm going for. 

Valentine's Day is just around the corner!  Get crafting!

Simple Mama




3 comments:

  1. Love it! I always have a ton of coffee filters laying around. :)

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-party-week-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks rather effective! Nice job! Your wee fella is so funny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this for spring/summer. Making it in multicolor pastel shades. I hope it turns out as great as yours! Thank you for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete