Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday

He's in his Blue Period.

Pre-child, I fancied myself an artist - primarily a watercolorist. Although it didn't take long for me to realize my love of painting was meant to be more a hobby, a leisure activity than it was a career move. Painting for me is such an involved process. It zaps my energy, takes all my focus. Leaves me feeling spent when I'm done. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the process of creating something beautiful on a pristine piece of white paper, but as a daily routine, it absorbed too much of me.

When The Little was born, I put away my painting supplies. I simply wasn't at a place in my life where I could afford to be that involved in something other than caring for my son. But he's growing now. Expressing interest in creativity, art, creating projects.

I pulled out my old painting supplies when he was about 2 and I was floored by his level of concentration, his focus as he brought brush to paper. I contemplated getting him his own set of watercolors - something a little less, I don't know...expensive? After some careful thought I decided against that. Why not let him use mine? I wasn't using them in the same manner I once was. Why not let him experience the brilliance of pure pigment and quality materials? It seemed silly to let my perfectly good watercolor materials sit idle when I had an eager little body ready and willing to put them to use.

And so he paints. Regularly. Beautifully. And it melts my heart every time.

I may never pick up my painting the way I once did, but as I sit with my boy, the early morning sun warm on our shoulders as he paints his next masterpiece I'm moved in ways I never imagined. I contemplate our next creative adventure together as we abandon his finished picture for a run through the sprinklers.

Fostering creativity, both his and mine,

Simple Mama.


  1. We did this type of painting last school year. It was so much fun. Deladis is into painting/drawing objects now rather than exploring color, and I am continually amazed by what she is capable of. After Ivy drank a pot of the expensive watercolor paints, we moved to tempra.

  2. I love this post!

    Hello! Here is the link to my new blog address so you can add it to your blog list. Thank you!