Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sometimes it's the Little Things

Today has been hard.

Sometimes life is just like that. You're going about your business and then, BAM! Thank you very much universe for reminding me of my limitations, for testing my patience, and for putting more on my plate than I feel I can reasonably handle.


I knew this morning when I woke up at 4 am that things weren't going to go according to plans. A tearful phone call to my husband who is away on business calmed my frayed nerves. A gentle hug from my toddler who was concerned that, "Mama sad?" allowed me to collect myself. I was reminded early, early on this morning that there are people who love me fiercely, unconditionally, flaws and all - no matter what.

A good friend came over this afternoon. She taught the breastfeeding class that my husband and I attended before our son was born. She answered many, many lactation questions and concerns I had. She was my lifeline when others suggested that breastfeeding was too hard, and I should just give my son a bottle. I adore her. Her steadiness. Her gentleness. Her devotion and commitment to her own marriage and children and career. Her advice. Her love for my son. For so many things.

She knew that I had been struggling with a back injury and that my husband had been traveling for work much of this month. She came over simply to help. She cleaned my counters, did my dishes, picked up toys, and vacuumed my very scary floors. Internet, my floors had not been vacuumed in a month. Seriously. Don't judge and please, please don't call CPS on me. They were disgusting. But I simply couldn't push the vacuum around.

She saved my sanity today. She didn't judge the total disarray of my home and offered me the very thing I needed most. Help.

And I realized after she had hugged both of us and left for the afternoon that my day had turned out better than I thought it would. It was the little things that turned it around for me today; a phone call to my husband, a hug from my son, the helping hand of a good friend, and the knowledge that tomorrow is a chance to start over and try again.

I decided to snap a few photos of things that right. this. minute. make me feel better. To remind me that no matter how dark and gray it feels, there is always beauty and promise to be found.

A beeswax heart hanging in the window:


The Little sleeping peacefully:


The flowers he sent me while he's on business:


The tea I only enjoy on special occasions.


Yours in finding meaning each and every day,

Simple Mama

11 comments:

  1. Sending you great big hugs! It's such a gift to have a friend like that. Here's to the little things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that you still celebrate your little things on days like that!

    What flavor tea? I recognize the *flowers* but havent tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to find beauty in the small things. And I'm glad your day turned around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon - it's Primula green tea with jasmine. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, *super big hugs* I am so so sorry you have been having such a hard time!! Do you still have my number? Seriously, CALL ME!! Let me help you! <3
    How fortunate you are to have such a dear friend close to you and to stop by and help for the day <3 <3 You are very loved for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh.s. i have been meaning to tell you, your beautiful lantern is on our nature table <3 I posted pics last week of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. (((hugs))) It sounds like it was a wonderful day. There are always things that come to steal our joy, but you have such amazing people around you. I wish for you to see all of the joy in everyday...even the junky ones. : )

    P.S. are you supposed to...vacuum?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big hugs we had a day like that recently, and in the end it is all about the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hugs to you, mama! it is so nice to have a friend who knows that you just need some help....and who will help you.
    that beeswax heart is lovely. your little is adorable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely it is to appreciate the small things (they really are the big things) and to have such a wonderful friend around to help! For me, back problems have been (still is) a great lesson in letting go and being gentle with myself.

    Oh, and it's ee-fa by the way lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh mama, I got teary reading how hard it was for you and then my heart swelled in gratitude that you have such a lovely, lovely friend to nurture and care for you in the tough times.

    Such a gorgeous, sweet, precious face on your adorable...so much to take comfort in...

    Love, love, love to you
    Marina

    ReplyDelete