Monday, September 5, 2011

In Which the Crazy Canning Commences

(Excuse the awful photos. I have no excuse, except I'm too busy to care.)

Summer finally decided to show up in the Pacific Northwest. About 1.5 months late, but she came. By this point in the year I'm usually 3/4 of the way done with putting food up for the season. This summer is different. I've hardly even started. However....


The peaches came in:
Which required putting up peach lemonade concentrate and canned peaches in a light syrup.

And then the beans decided to grow - which meant spicy dilly beans:
The dilly beans usually go quickly, especially when my brothers stop by to visit.

The next thing I knew, I was elbow deep in zucchini. I made my standby - zucchini gummy candies and still had enough left over that I decided to make extra zucchini relish. This stuff is delicious in tuna fish sandwiches, with grilled cheese, or in a tartar sauce. Hot dogs and hamburgers too if you have any grilling left in you this summer.
Zucchini Relish

10 cups shredded zucchini
2 white onions, chopped
3 shredded carrots
1 green pepper, chopped
5 tbsp. canning salt

Mix together, let soak overnight. Rinse in cold water, squeezing out excess liquid. Put in large pot with:

1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp. tumeric
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 1/2 cups white distilled vinegar
6 cups sugar

Cook all ingredients on medium heat, stirring often for 30 minutes. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Yields about 6 pints.

Happy canning!

Simple Mama

1 comment:

  1. Peach lemonade concentrate? I would LOVE your recipe to that!

    ReplyDelete