Saturday, February 13, 2010

Learning from the Expert

I picked up needle felting about 6 months ago on a whim. The colors, the texture, the smell all appealed to me. But I had no idea what I was doing. It's been trial and error, and very, very basic shapes.

So when I had the opportunity to take a class on needle felting human forms by Mel Orr of Haddy2Dogs I was thrilled! I've met Mel before on several occasions, and her work is simply gorgeous. Organic, flowing, colorful - it speaks to me on a very spiritual level. The class was held at the beautiful Waldorf inspired preschool, Serendipity School House




*********************************Master Mel

It was a small intimate class - three students who had never met and who thoroughly enjoyed each other's company chatting about children, art, and Waldorf philosophy.



************************A basket full of gorgeous wool


Student Dana needle felting - I love how this photo shows the repetitive stabbing motion of felting. And as we all found out at least once...those barbed needles are sharp!



******************Marget waiting patiently for instruction

The time went by far too quickly. My buxom nursing mama and baby is not quite finished. I'll be sure to post pictures when she is. In the soft glow of the peach color lazured walls of the preschool she didn't look quite so well endowed as she does here at home. My son took one look at my unfinished figure and said, "Wow Mama! BIG Bubs!" It's fitting then that she'll be a nursing mama - a figure to commemorate our nursing relationship, which is, for the most part, over.



Surprisingly, needle felted figures aren't nearly as difficult as I thought they would be. I'm so excited to finish my first doll that has rather longish (think chimpanzee) arms and start on new needle felted dolls! I learned so much today about this new hobby I've picked up - and Mel? Well Mel is just plain awesome. I am so blessed that I was able to spend time today learning from her. With some luck, it won't be the last time.

Yours in learning,

Simple Mama

3 comments:

  1. envy! mel is so talented. how blessed you are to be in one another's company! ;) i can't wait to see what springs forth from your needles with this new found skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you lucky thing you ... not jealous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cool! I want to learn to do this but like you, I think I would do best to learn from a person. can't wait to see what you've made!

    ReplyDelete